Saturday, August 16, 2008

soul searching

I met my husband what seems like 700 million years ago. We were so in love back then.... I couldn't imagine a single second without him in it. We were a typical country music song/video. Driving around in the pick up truck on back roads, swilling beer, smoking cigarettes, having fun and being young. It was the life. We had bumps in the road, but it all came back to loving eachother and being best friends.
THEN, we had Abby. Sure, things were still good, but nothing was great anymore. Eric lost himself more and more every day in our bills and making a good life for our family. I know, sounds horrible... while it's great to have someone in the house paying attention to that stuff, can we please not forget that we're trying to shape a child here?!?!?! HEY next lets add another kid to the mix, AND getting married in between!
Some days I feel like a single mom. It's true. Eric has to work late, or is putting around outside in the yard working on some stupid project that he'll never finish. I am left with the crazy screaming children that are planted firmly up my ass while I cook dinner, clean, and prepare for the next day... yet they have a million toys they could be playing with. I do the shopping by myself, I visit friends by myself, I take the kiddos for walks by myself.
My kids go to bed early... it's great. But my free time is spent in silence.... you think he could ask about my day or listen to one of my dumb LL Bean stories because god knows I listen to all of his STUPID fucking garage stories, and if I didn't I'd be labeled as the wife that just doesn't care. I can't complain about anything, because then I just hear about how he pays all the bills and I'm ungrateful. No I'm not, but I'm not interested in having my parent's relationship. I never once saw my parents hug, never once heard them say I love you, and they barely ever did anything with us as a family. Hell they divorced by the time I was 8.

Some days I wonder... is it the kids that did this? (not that I blame them for anything!!) Or are we really losing what was once so strong? Does this happen alot?? Will it keep happening over the years? We had a "date night" a few weeks ago and I felt like I had nothing to say. In fact I almost felt like we were on a first date. Not the uncomfortable feeling, but the "eh I have nothing else to say I wanna go home and take a nap" feeling.

I love Eric.... I love him very much. But sometimes I wonder, is it really enough? Is it enough to keep this going for the rest of our lives? When my kids are grown and move on... what will keep me here? I already feel like there are too many days when I ask myself why...

6 comments:

Melissa said...

:( you really hit home with me on this one. I feel the same way. I just don't know what happened. if you wanna talk you know where to find me.

Bette Anne said...

I think we all can feel like this at times... Here's hoping that y'all are just in a rut and things will start to look up!

Dusty And Mandi said...

I know that feeling. I'm there sometimes too. I hate it when you try to tell them and they just say it's not their fault they have to work all the time. Grr. Hopefully it's just a rut and you guys will get back on track soon.

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Life is Good said...

I am glad that I am not teh only one that feels completly lost!! Thanks for typing everything that i felt like saying!!

Unknown said...

Things will look up. Try and talk to him and see if you guys can't make time for the two of you. Even if it's after the kids go to bed you guys just sit in the livingroom with the tv off and talk about each others day.